WINTER WEATHER POLICY
COMPLETE CLOSE – Generally, if Jacksonville School District 117 closes due to bad winter weather (heavy snow and/or extreme cold). Elm City Center day programs will close. All transportation services by Elm City or by West Central Mass Transit for Elm City will stop. Closure will be based on the safety of driving buses on the local roads or severe temperature conditions.
EARLY CLOSE – Based on weather conditions Elm City may close earlier than the usual 2:30 pm. This will be done in coordination with the residential programs, Mass Transit and the available weather forecasts.
Elm City Center Residential programs (CILAs, Group home, and apartments) and case management programs never close.
- If Jacksonville schools close, bus service in Jacksonville, Springfield, and Pittsfield will stop
- If Pittsfield schools close, buses will not travel to Pittsfield.
- If Springfield schools close, buses will not travel to Springfield.
- Trips to Virginia and other northern locations will be based on road conditions.
- It is possible for Elm City to stay open for in-town Jacksonville people with no out of town bus service due to road conditions outside of Jacksonville.
- It is possible for Pittsfield buses to stop, but Springfield buses run as usual. That decision will be based on weather and the safety of the vehicles and riders.
RADIO AND TV
Locally, for early morning closure news we ask that people listen to
- WEAI (107.1 FM)-WLDS (1180 AM)
- WJIL (1550 AM/102.9 FM)-WJVO (105.5 FM)
- We may also be on TV Channel 20 (Channel 10 on Mediacom) from Springfield.
The decision to close will usually be done by 5:00am.
|Elm City Center||217-370-9437|
|West Central Mass Transit||217-245-9122|